Monday, September 24, 2012

April 2000- Albright 7

The Albright Family

Narrated by Quinn

 



Samira and I are really loving having our own place. The dorms were always so crowded and there was never any privacy at all to just be ourselves. Our families were concerned about the two of us buying a house together right away but we're ready to get started on our adult lives; Samira isn't a fan of the idea of marriage and we don't see much point in waiting until then to get a place, anyway. Things are a bit tight money-wise, but we're working on getting settled and I'm sure things will get easier very soon.


One great thing about this house is the outdoor space. The front yard is plenty big enough for a quick game of catch and the back is even larger. We don't have a pond like Samira's parents do, but neither of us are really into fishing so it will do just fine for us. It's much bigger than what I grew up with so I'm ecstatic. I'm already envisioning the possibilities. I'm hoping there will be room for a picnic table and grill as well as a swingset and maybe a treehouse.


Samira found a job right away so we went shopping to find her some work clothes after she got her first paycheck. We ran into my little sister, Aspen, while we were there. She just turned 13 and she's apparently unimpressed with the rules Mom has put in place. I may need to have some talks with her about listening to rules soon... She's a good kid at heart but she's stubborn so the rules are really causing her to bristle.


Seeing Aspen got me thinking. Samira and I really hadn't had our families at the house much, and never around each other. I proposed the idea of a family gathering and she wasn't wholly opposed to the idea, it took some convincing because she wasn't sure how her dad, Marcel, would handle it, he can be a bit standoffish, but I reassured her that her other father, Xerxes could keep him in line.


My next issue to bring up was money. Samira had a job, it didn't pay much but it helped. I was still looking and the pickings were slim. It's been really starting to concern us.


It's not the greatest plan but I figured I could make some toys to bring in some extra cash until I could find something that actually paid well.



It's a lot work but I do it in between searching for jobs and I really enjoy it. I'm beginning to think maybe I should open a toy store. I just need to get a bit better first. My workshop is pretty bare but the toys that I have made are selling pretty well so I'm hoping I can fix it up and make it a better workspace soon.


I'm actually really liking being home and domestic lately. I've expanded my recipe collection and am becoming a better cook. Well, I think I am. Samira would probably disagree.


And I'm really tempted to get a cat. Samira and I are going to revisit the idea once we're more stable financially.


As Samira predicted, Marcel did not get along well with my mother. I don't know what they were arguing about, I tried to ignore them, but he was irritable all evening so it was probably nothing.



At least Xerxes kept him quiet during dinner. Which reminds me, we need a bigger table and more chairs. Samira's sister, Perdita, ended up just waiting til everyone else was done to eat.


At least the girls hit it off. Perdita is in 8th grade, while Aspen is in 7th. It's too bad Perdita is heading to high school in the fall but maybe it will be nice. It might give Aspen a better idea of what to expect when it's her turn.





Notes:
I will add in Samira and Quinn's portrait soon. It's currently on my other computer which is not plugged in because of rearranging. 
I thought I took more pictures but I guess not. This will have to do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment